upgrade reference

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:47:50 MST 2012

I've had some success doing some test migrations, though I don't have all
my pieces put together yet.

Are you running on a Debian based system or a Red Hat (CentOS, Fedora, etc)
based system?  There are obviously some package differences, as well as
startup script differences.

I am actually trying to do the conversion from one server to another, which
presents some different challenges.  For one thing, I still have a load of
other services on the old server that I can't get rid of right away.  Also,
that box is pretty suck on packages from several years ago, which is why
it's still running Samba 3.0.9!!

In my case, I do NOT have an LDAP server, so I am pulling from a tdb
database for my users.  I wouldn't say this is better or worse than LDAP,
but it does mean you do things a little differently.

I've found that I can copy my /etc/samba and /usr/lib/samba directories
from my production server to the new test server and then run the
conversion.

--
    Charles Tryon