S3 to S4 migration (samba-tools) -- Progress!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 10 14:04:04 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 14:59 -0600, Ricky Nance wrote:
> Might help if you could describe more of how you had your S3 server setup.
> What kind of backend would be the very minimum to mention (more details the
> better though). The groups didn't transfer from my ldap backend at first,
> but I am 99% sure Amitay fixed that issue. Please also tell us what samba
> --version reports.

Charles,

We did a lot of work with Ricky on his transition, and the biggest point
that remained is that we do not warn if we do not find the groups
locally when we attempt the upgrade.

That is, groups in Samba3 are defined by posix or the setting
'ldapsam:trusted'.  If a migration is done by first transferring the
Samba data between hosts, the groups also need to be transferred such
that Samba3 would be able to operate.