S3 to S4 migration (samba-tools) -- Progress!

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:50:27 MST 2012

  After digging myself out from under an unfortunate number of other
distractions, I have had a fair amount of success testing a migration of
our Samba 3.0 based domain to a new Samba4 installation.

  I have successfully brought up the server and a "snapshot" of one of our
existing clients in a virtual environment and shown that the client will
connect to the server as if it was the old domain.  Users and machines look
like they have all been moved over, and my old client profile comes up
correctly when I log in to my domain account on the virtualized client.

  One thing that I noticed is that groups do NOT appear to have made the
move.  Is this expected, or did I miss something?  It looks like I should
be able to fairly easily script converting the existing /etc/groups file
into the new Samba domain using the Samba-tool, but it would be nice if the
IDs and such were able to make the transition.  (I *DO* know that there is
a restriction where groups cannot have the same name as a user, which is
different from the way many Linux distros manage users.)

--
    Charles Tryon