smbcli connection using public libs only

Mon Jan 9 01:36:40 MST 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 03:12:19AM -0500, Catalin Patulea wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> > That would avoid some of the challenges of maintaining a supported,
> > public API broad enough to implement gvfs while still developing Samba.
> >
> > What do you think?
> Well, GVFS provides some helpers for developing daemons. In reality, a
> gvfsd is a statically linked portion common to all backends, plus the
> backend-specific ops. The framework provides things like wrapping DBus
> requests into a 'Job' data structure, which can be queued, deferred,
> etc. So I would have to figure out a way to either integrate this into
> the Samba build system, or rewrite it from scratch (downsites are
> obvious: potential bugs, duplication of code, etc.)
>
> Bugs aside, I guess the crux of the issue is that instead of tracking
> the Samba 4 client interface, the plugin must now track the DBus GVFS
> interface (which, admittedly, is probably a more stable interface).

What makes the Samba 4 client interface superior to your
needs over the Samba 3 client interface? In the past years,
we have put a lot of work into the latter, and I would like
to know the deficiences to improve it further.

Thanks,

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de