Shipping waf uncompressed?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Jan 5 04:59:53 MST 2012

Am 04/01/12 01:02, schrieb Andrew Tridgell:
>> Does anybody have an objection against actually shipping the unpacked
>> soure code ?
> I don't mind that at all, although we'd need to be careful to keep the
> portability substitution that is currently done to preserve
> compatibility with earlier python versions. That will make the code look
> a little odd, and different from what you see in the waf git repo. I'd
> hate to lose that both because it helps with portability, plus it means
> we're running the same version of waf that other users run, so Thomas is
> much more likely to be able to help us.
Thanks for the reply.

I've now added this, after checking with Thomas earlier. Basically we're
now using what's in waf git, with the waf-light script (though slightly
tweaked). The automatic conversion is only relevant for Python 3, which
Samba doesn't support anyway.

> I'd also like to be able to update easily to new versions of waf when
> bug fixes are made. Right now that involves running
> "./waf-light --make-waf --zip-type=gz" and copying the resulting 'waf'
> file into buildtools/bin/waf-svn. Perhaps a script in
> buildtools/scripts/ that unpacks the 'waf' file into the form we want is
> how things should be done?
I've added a update_waf.sh script, which does this.

Cheers,

Jelmer