Domain join as BDC

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 01:21:48 MST 2012

Hi Amitay,

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 18:05 +1100, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> Hi Daniele,
>
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Daniele Dario <d.dario76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Amitay,
> >
> > On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 17:04 +1100, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> >> Hi Daniele,

> >> Currently the join code does not have the logic to replicate
> >> application partitions. So right now
> >> there is no easy way to add DNS partitions on second DC.
> >>
> >> Amitay.
> >
> > is it in the team plans to add this? is it scheduled and already in
> > charge of someone? can I contribute (I'm a good C/C++ programmer, seen
> > python but never had time to work with) in some way?
> >
> > Daniele.
>
> I will be working on the code to support replication of application partitions.
> It might be a week or two before you will be able to test it though.
>
> Amitay.

I've seen that bin/provision has a --partitions-only option which (from
the python script) would "Configure Samba's partitions, but do not
modify them (ie, join a BDC)".

Could it be used to provision the same domain of the other DC?

If yes, if I provision with the --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ option I guess
samba expects to update the dns/sam.ldb and dns/sam.ldb.d/* contents am
I right? And than would it be possible to start replication between the
two DCs?

Anyway, because there is not the support for replication of application
partitions would the contents of the dns/sam.ldb and dns/sam.ldb.d/* not
be coherent between the two DCs?

Daniele.