s3fs in master (and the road to Samba 4.0)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 29 04:53:48 MST 2012

With the autobuild I finally got into the tree today, s3fs is now
available in master.  This is an implementation of the smbd file server
as part of an AD domain controller.

In time, we hope to be able to make this the default file server, but
there is a lot of work to do, and any assistance would be much
appreciated.

Currently, very few tests run against the plugin_s4_dc test environment,
which is the current place-holder for s3fs.  We need to run all the
current tests, both RPC and CIFS against this environment.  (We also
need to adjust the --target= argument that smbtorture is called with to
accommodate the semantics of the smbd file server. )

We also need to finish the authentication merge (pending resolution of
the security=share issue), and get much further with the merge of the
loadparm systems (at least having a common table of options).

However, the major identifiable task I see is that we need to integrate
the endpoint mapper implementations so that they can talk to each other.
Currently, it is not possible to register smbd-forked end points
(spoolss, srvsvc, etc) with the epmapper from s4, so we get copious
warnings in the logs.

In a lot of ways, there is nothing earth-shattering here - plugin_s4_dc
has been around since SambaXP 2011, and the slow merge of the build
system and authentication code since then has brought us to this point.

What we need to do now is start to use this - both in selftests and in
real world testing.  To run, set:

server services = -smb +s3fs
dcerpc endpoint servers = -unixinfo -rpcecho -spoolss -winreg -wkssvc
-srvsvc

This is an important step towards a Samba 4.0 release, and while there
is still much to do, we could and I think should aim for a pre-release
of Samba 4.0 before SambaXP.