smdb crashes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 25 02:26:04 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 23:04 -0700, Jason Carlson wrote:
> When I run smdb while using Samba 4 I receive the following error: (Any
> Ideas?)

This is perfectly normal and expected.  You do not need to run smbd,
Samba4 already includes a file server in the 'samba' binary.

We have plans to swap over the file server implementation there, but the
current plan is that it will still be started by 'samba', and so running
smbd additionally will indeed fail, due to being unable to bind to the
sockets.

What we do need to do is make this more clear, so our administrators can
better understand the different modal for starting services and easily
diagnose failures when they occur.