AIO, SMB2 and Samba 3.6

Wed Feb 22 02:54:48 MST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 03:56:52PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I've now reproduced this on the NAS with a level 10 log, using
> smbclient4 from master:
>
> bin/smbclient //192.168.1.167/media -Uuser%password
> smb: \> put /data/kvm/cdroms/FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
> freebsd7.iso
> Error writing file: socket_error
>
> It seems to me that the underlying AIO layer isn't returning promptly or
> correctly.  It appears that after the socket error, smbclient still
> tries to close the file, and this then triggers finally an AIO error.

The reference to freebsd makes me wonder if the NAS box
might be FreeBSD based. I think I've seen problems with
Samba setting up the RT signal we choose for AIO. It should
have disabled using aio. Can you check further up in the log
whether that might be the case? Also, you might try the
aio_fork and aio_pthread modules.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de