AIO, SMB2 and Samba 3.6

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 20 23:42:28 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 10:35 +0100, Christian Ambach wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 02/20/2012 03:14 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I have this report that AIO and SMB2 don't work in Samba 3.6.3.  (Win2k8
> > creates empty files).
>
> Would be nice to know with which aio settings and which aio module this
> happens.

With:
 aio read size = 1
 aio write size = 1

As far as I can tell, this is with the default AIO backend on Linux
(there are no additional AIO patches, just --with-aio-support).

I have network captures (the success case is too large to post to the
list), but essentially the SMB2 write request is never answered, and
eventually (1 min after the last send write) the connection is dropped.

The transfer was from a Samba4 server to a Samba 3.6.3 NAS, via a
Windows 2008R2 VM.

This all works when AIO is disabled on Samba 3.6.3.

Naturally, I'll keep digging into this, but any clues you can provide
would be most appreciated.

Thanks,