Adding hosts to build.samba.org and increasing Samba's portability.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Feb 18 19:58:03 MST 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 10:28 +0900, Samba-JP oota wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:04:28PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I've updated our code coverage system to run on sn-devel, and now every
> > 6 hours we will update the statistics at http://build.samba.org with the
> > current code coverage.
>
> Why FreeBSD platform is 7.2?
> FreeBSD version 9.0 is the latest.

Platforms in the Samba build farm are managed and donated by others.
More modern platforms are welcome, simply follow the instructions on
build.samba.org to add new hosts.

As you may have noticed, a number of the hosts have not reported in for
some time, and these will shortly be removed.

However, what we need even more than hosts in the build farm is active
users of these platforms who wish to make and keep Samba portable.

Daily users of each platform understand the oddities, and have the time,
experience and local access to determine why Samba may not working.
Often the issues are trivial, but without daily attention the backlog
has become a challenge.

As an additional complexity, there may be oddities in the build farm
environment that are not reflected in the real world.  I do not believe
our portability is quite as bad as the build farm suggests, but the best
way to solve that is with the assistance of those who use these
platforms daily.