Fail over/Recovery roadblock

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 14:38:30 MST 2012

Hi,

I am currently using a single samba4 server for everything (migrated from a
signel samba3 DC, so everything includes fileserving) in my domain, but i am a
bit concerned about reliability, as more and more services integrate
themselves into AD environment.

my plan is to set up two samba4 DCs and two samba3 fileservers as virtual
machines on two separate hosts, with the aim that hardware failure of one of
the hosts would not affect the availability (it would certainly affect
performance, but everything should still work).

the samba4 DCs should be synchronized by DRS (hopefully DNS partition
replication will get fixed soon, or is fixed already), GPOs would be
synchronized by lsyncd

the problem is with fileserving, as I dont have a SAN (thay cost way too much
for this setup), i would use drbd (with clvm and GFS2) to synchronize the
fileservers, and CTDB to keep samba state in sync. with this i would like to
use MSDFS to automagically balance load between the nodes (and transparently
switch to single-node in case of a failure)

this is somewhat more complex setup than the one of the original poster, but
the question remains the same - is this doable? are there any fundamental
errors in my plan? what performance gain (or even loss) can i expect from
this? anyone running a similar setup? any other ideas?

thanks
Pavel Herrmann