NT style domain trusts?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 20:24:57 MST 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 15:03 -0500, Charles Tryon wrote:
> As an interim step, I'm trying to see if I can set up an old style NT4
> Domain Trust.  I'm wondering... is it possible to set up a Trust
> relationship between a Samba4 server and an old (3.0.9), existing Samba
> domain?

You could have Samba 3.0.9 trust Samba4, but not the other way around.

This isn't a tested feature, but NT4 trusts rely on very little from the
trusted domain (ie Samba4), and the little it does need I think we
support.

You also cannot then migrate your users between the two domains without
pain, as the domains must have different SIDs, and we do not support SID
history (yet).

Is there something in particular that is worrying you about taking the
plunge to Samba4?