samba-tool domain join (W2k)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 8 16:31:27 MST 2012

On Thu, 2012-02-09 at 08:00 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 08:25 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Axel,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your testing.  This is important, because you
> > have uncovered an new issue with the join.py script.  We need to catch
> > this exception, because Windows 2000 servers do not return a
> > msDS-keyVersionNumber attribute (essentially, it is always 0).
> >
> > It also confirms that Matthias' patch is correct for the first issue, as
> > otherwise we would not get this far.
>
> Axel,
>
> I've pushed this change and a follow-up patch from Matthais to
> autobuild.  If you could test out master later today it would be
> appreciated!

Matthias,

I tried to push your patches from
http://git.samba.org/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/join but
s4:join python code - "msDS-keyVersionNumber" does not exist on Win2k
http://git.samba.org/?p=mdw/samba.git;a=commitdiff;h=a63e5fe8ea878b1c6a29b51da7d510ba08e823b6 does not pass 'make test', so I've dropped it again.

When you get a chance to sort that out, I look forward to tidying this
up for our future users.

In the meantime, sadly the easiest and most reliable way to migrate off
windows 2000 is to do via windows 2003.

Thanks,