Should we keep smbwrapper?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 2 21:25:46 MST 2012

Derrell,

What is the status of smbwrapper?  I notice that you did a major rework
on it in 2002.  I've been unable to get it to work in 3.5 or even
compile in master.

I would also rather like to rid Samba of all the configure checks that
this code entails, and an any case, it seems there are much better ways
to create a virtual file system these days, with FUSE, gvfs or just
using a cifs kernel mount.

I'm also worried that it cannot be complete - it does not include the
new dup3 for example, and probably many other calls.  We have no
testsuite for it either.

Finally, I would like to see it removed so as to avoid giving others any
strange ideas, as tridge's blog at http://blog.tridgell.net/?p=141 shows
how, when this idea is taken to the extreme, this can go horribly,
horribly wrong.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,