Samba-tool dns commands??

Charles Tryon charles.tryon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:38:06 MST 2012

OK, this one really has me scratching my head...

On my migration test server, I've suddenly run into a problem where I can't
run the samba-tool "dns" command to add entries to the DLZ DNS tables.

This is on a system where I have run a domain samba3upgrade.  The generated
DNS system is running just fine, and I can actually bring up the Microsoft
DNS Administrative tools to view or add entries in the DNS zone, but if I
try to enter them from the command line, I get the following error:

> sudo /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool dns add localhost usa.om.org dummy A
10.4.1.102 --password=something
ERROR(runtime): uncaught exception - (-1073741801, 'Memory allocation
error')
  File
"/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py",
line 167, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py",
line 848, in run
    dns_conn = dns_connect(server, self.lp, self.creds)
  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.6/site-packages/samba/netcmd/dns.py",
line 36, in dns_connect
    dns_conn = dnsserver.dnsserver(binding_str, lp, creds)

I then went to the Wiki page for the samba-tool to check to see if I'd
missed some change in parameters for the command, and discovered that the
"dns" command is NOT LISTED as one of the commands for samba-tool?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba-tool-external

Did something change, or is this just an oversight in the Wiki page???  Am
I missing something?

I am doing a clean build-from-scratch from git to see if this affects
the problem.

--
    Charles Tryon