Samba4 How To

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 31 05:01:51 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-31 at 12:15 +0100, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 28.12.2012 22:17, schrieb Ricky Nance:
> > Any feedback on this is welcome, and I don't mind doing
> > changes, but would like the opinion of the samba team before proceeding in
> > this direction...
>

> What do you think about having a kind of 'table of contents' with all s4
> related docs on
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/
>
> The DC HowTo I would reduce to just a bare DC installation. All other things
> (SElinux, Firewall, setup shares, GPO, etc.) I would take out and place each
> on a new page (one page for each topic). And this new pages are linked on the TOC.
>
> The TOC page we could group into sections like 'DC setup', 'DC
> administration', 'member servers', 'other',...
>
> So a good place to start for all users would be the TOC page then and all
> linked pages approach single topics.
>
> What do you think about that?
>
> I can help working on that too in my spare time.

In terms of the Samba4 page, we need to rework it into a general
introduction on Samba 4.0 as an AD DC.  The information on the 'samba4'
development project/branch needs to move elsewhere, as goals planned or
achieved for that project, which is now complete (as we have merged to
Samba 4.0).

When we get the page into shape, I'll rename it to 'Samba AD DC',
leaving Samba4 as a redirect.   (I'm trying to avoid using the name
Samba4, as it is confusing now that we have a full Samba release called
Samba 4.0, which does much more than what the 'samba4' project aimed
for).

There is a lot of work to do on the wiki, and I do thank those who have
the time and patience to put into it.