Samba 4 and dhcp

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Sat Dec 29 08:13:06 MST 2012

On 29/12/12 14:45, Kai Blin wrote:
>>> That's certainly not correct if you pick the correct log level.
>> I was talking about the standard log level i.e. log level not set in
>> smb.conf
> On log level 0, only pretty catastrophic things should be logged,
> otherwise the log would be quite large in seconds. I had a bunch of
> logging output at log level 1 (which is what make test runs at), and
> people bumped that up to even higher levels to get rid of the noise.
>
>>> However, I'm myself a bit confused at what log level to pick for what
>>> level of output I want to log. And of course if you just use the
>>> catch-all level 10, you do get a lot of stuff apart from the DNS server,
>>> which makes it hard to spot the correct output.
>> er, if you are confused what log level to pick, someone who helped to
>> write Samba, what hope do I have as just a mere user ;-)
>> Also saying that you do get a lot of stuff is a slight understatement.
> I'm interested in your proposed solution. How do I get more relevant
> debugging info to the average user while not printing non-relevant info,
> when the average user is interested in different output every time?
>
>>> Arguably even the log output given by the internal server isn't as
>>> detailed as the log output in bind.
>> No argument, using the standard log level gives you nothing from the
>> internal DNS server, whilst bind is pretty vocal.
> BIND is sort of a one-trick pony. It's pretty safe to assume that
> everybody who runs BIND cares about DNS and would like to see DNS stuff
> in the logs. I don't see the same happening for samba.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

Hi Kai, I can understand the problem, raising the log level to 10 gives
that much output, it is just not easily understood. How about a line
that could be added to smb.conf that would turn on DNS output similar to
bind9's output when dhcp updates the dns database. If the line is not in
smb.conf you get no output, but if there is a problem you can add the
line and get the relevant output in the log.

Rowland

believed to be clean.