Starting on a Samba 4.0 'complete' debian package

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Tue Dec 18 23:14:16 MST 2012

> Just a heads-up in case anyone is interested, particularly anybody
> skilled in debian and debian packaging (I'm not :-).
>
> What I've done is, based on Jelmer's samba4 package in experimental the
> samba (currently 3.x) package, and netgear's combined package, is to
> create a combined package containing the AD DC and the file server, as a
> single build.  In particular, compared with the existing samba4
> packages, this will allow users to run the smbd file server, rather than
> being forced to run ntvfs, and doesn't mix other components with the 3.x
> install.
>
> As far as I'm aware, no other debian package of the complete Samba 4.0.0
> release exists (if it does, I'll be be glad to know about it!).
>
> I've got it building, with some small issues remaining at the
> post-install configure step.
>
> git://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba-debian.git  debian-experimental
>
> https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba-debian.git;a=summary
>
> Be warned, the revision history is currently a complete disaster - I
> intend to squash it all into a single commit and some proper changelogs
> once I get it working.
>
> As I figure others might be interested in a combined package, I'm hoping
> that someone might like to work with me to get this working, so we can
> point Samba users at a complete build of the official release.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew Bartlett
Hi Andrew,

First of all a big thank you for your efforts!

I've built a few debian packages (for internal use) and already planed
to do a complete packaging (using a "make install" installation now). So
would be glad to help. Unfortunately I'm quite busy 'till the weekend.
But will have a look at your packages then.

Regards

Geza Gemes