Samba 4.0 released - The First Free Software Active Directory Compatible Server is now available !

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Dec 11 14:21:29 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 14:08 -0700, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> On 12/11/2012 10:32 AM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >                       Samba Team Releases Samba 4.0
> >                       =============================
> >
> > December 11th 2012.
> >
> > The Samba Team is proud to announce the release of Samba 4.0, a major
> > new release of the award-winning Free Software file, print and
> > authentication server suite for Microsoft Windows clients.
> >
> This is fantastic news. I do have a question that many who are/were
> using beta/RC releases may have:
>
> Besides doing "/usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset" is
> there anything else that needs to be redone? I noticed that several
> patches in the last RC releases for fixing AD acls (I assume these are
> LDAP). How are these to be reset?
>
> Is it recommended to do things manually, or should domains be recreated
> from scratch if possible (although a huge pain)?

Yes, we had to sort out some ACL issues late, noticed after we started
enforcing ACLs for read operations on the LDAP directory.  We have tools
that were developed for the purpose of fixing exactly this kind of
issue, and a bug has been raised to remind us that we need to add this
fix and provide instructions for our users.

When that is done, we will mention it on the lists, and then include it
in a future release.