Seeing a compound request from Win7 where the last request is async

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 12:46:16 MST 2012

Hi folks,

For reasons I don't understand we have started seeing a compound
request consisting of:

1. CREATE on / followed by
2. A NOTIFY request.

When responding Samba 3.6.6 (and it looks like Master) does not
assemble the STATUS_PENDING response for the notify. This causes
Windows to get very confused and it then sends sometime later a
GETINFO request on File Id: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF:FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Samba says FILE_CLOSED to these ... which it should.

It seems to me that we should handle ASYNC requests in a compound
request if it is the last and only one. The code in
smbd_smb2_request_pending_queue seems not to check if this is the last
request in the chain. It simply cancels it.

The downside seems to be that Windows fails to bring up the Security
Tab because we have confused it.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe