[Samba] MMC crashes with rc6

Thomas Simmons twsnnva at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:23:36 MST 2012

FWIW - I have found that MMC does not crash if I start it with runas using
/netonly argument. These are the commands I use to open AD MMC snap-ins
from workstations that are not domain members. I noticed MMC worked from my
non-member workstation so I tested it on the local system and found it
works. I'm running as DOMAIN\Administrator, which is the same user I am
logged in with. I'm not sure what the /netonly option does differently in
this case.

Active Directory Users and Computers
runas /netonly /user:DOMAIN\Administrator "mmc dsa.msc
/server=dc_ipaddr_goes_here"

Active Directory Sites and Services
runas /netonly /user:DOMAIN\Administrator "mmc dssite.msc
/server=dc_ipaddr_goes_here"

Active Directory Domains and Trusts
runas /netonly /user:DOMAIN\Administrator "mmc domain.msc
/server=dc_ipaddr_goes_here"

DNS Manager
runas /netonly /user:DOMAIN\Administrator "mmc dns.msc
/server=dc_ipaddr_goes_here"