Adding a Forwarding Zone (Bind 9.9.2)

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:02:04 MST 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Charles Tryon <charles.tryon at gmail.com>wrote:

> Amitay,
>
>   I tried your branch (as in the git link you sent), and unfortunately,
> I'm getting almost the same error.
>
>   Interesting...  Using the Windows DNS tool, I can create a normal
> domain, and then change the "NS" record, but I still get an error "The
> start of authority (SOA) record cannot be updated.  The record does not
> exist."

That's interesting. I will have to test with windows DNS tool to figure out
why it does not see SOA record.

>   <samba:etc>? /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool dns zoneinfo samba
> global.local
>   pszZoneName                 : global.local
>   dwZoneType                  : DNS_ZONE_TYPE_PRIMARY
>   fReverse                    : FALSE
>   fAllowUpdate                : DNS_ZONE_UPDATE_SECURE
>   fPaused                     : FALSE
>   fShutdown                   : FALSE
>   fAutoCreated                : FALSE
>   fUseDatabase                : TRUE
>   pszDataFile                 : None
>   aipMasters                  : []
>   fSecureSecondaries          : DNS_ZONE_SECSECURE_NO_XFER
>   fNotifyLevel                : DNS_ZONE_NOTIFY_LIST_ONLY
>   aipSecondaries              : []
>   aipNotify                   : []
>   fUseWins                    : FALSE
>   fUseNbstat                  : FALSE
>   fAging                      : FALSE
>   dwNoRefreshInterval         : 168
>   dwRefreshInterval           : 168
>   dwAvailForScavengeTime      : 0
>   aipScavengeServers          : []
>   dwRpcStructureVersion       : 0x2
>   dwForwarderTimeout          : 0
>   fForwarderSlave             : 0
>   aipLocalMasters             : []
>   dwDpFlags                   : DNS_DP_AUTOCREATED DNS_DP_DOMAIN_DEFAULT
> DNS_DP_ENLISTED
>   pszDpFqdn                   : DomainDnsZones.usa.om.org
>   pwszZoneDn                  :
> DC=global.local,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=usa,DC=om,DC=org
>   dwLastSuccessfulSoaCheck    : 0
>   dwLastSuccessfulXfr         : 0
>   fQueuedForBackgroundLoad    : FALSE
>   fBackgroundLoadInProgress   : FALSE
>   fReadOnlyZone               : FALSE
>   dwLastXfrAttempt            : 0
>   dwLastXfrResult             : 0
>

> I also tried this Microsoft page for adding a forwarder:
>     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773370%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
>
> This also gave me the error: "The server forwarders cannot be updated.
>  This function is not supported on this system."
>
> (Probably just as well, since I suspect this is a different forwarding
> function than what I'm looking for...)

DNS RPC server implementation in samba4 currently supports creation of
primary zone.  It does not allow setting up of forwarders since that
information is not stored in the AD database. We can support it in future
if we have a consistent way to configure forwarder for internal dns server
and BIND DLZ.

Amitay.