Samba 3.6.6 and above return NT_STATUS_FILE_CLOSED rather than STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:32:49 MST 2012

Hi folks,

I am seeing NT_STATUS_FILE_CLOSED in response to an IOCTL/FSCTL we do
not understand. I believe this is an error, and use the following in
support of my contention (someone looked at what W2K08 does, but it is
an error.)

The protocol documents that a non-SMB3-capable (2.002 or 2.1) should
respond to VALIDATE_NEGOTIATE_INFO request with a status error of
STATUS_INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST, the same error as for any unsupported
FSCTL. Windows Server 2008 (SMB 2.002) and Windows Server 2008 R2 (SMB
2.1) return STATUS_FILE_CLOSED, instead.

>From here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2012/06/28/smb3-secure-dialect-negotiation.aspx

The downside is that the Windows client thinks the file is closed and
does not explicitly close it leaving an entry in our locking.tdb and
causing havoc with MS Office apps.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe