ZFS quotas support

Bogdan Iamandei b.iamandei at its.uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 3 22:53:36 MST 2012

Hi all,

I've been looking into getting something done about supporting ZFS quotas under
Samba. I haven't found a lot on it - other than the fact that there's no quotactl()
API for ZFS - and that's the end of it.

What got me thinking is that "quota" command on Solaris seems to happily report
the quota for a given user whether it's UFS or ZFS. Digging a little bit deeper
in the OpenSolaris sources - it appears that whilst indeed there's no API for
getting the user quota, there's a way. It's not the most elegant way but it scratches
an itch: it uses dlopen() and dlsym().
(see http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/fs.d/ufs/quota/quota.c)

So - three questions to the esteemed developers:

1). Has anyone done anything about this before I start duplicating effort?
2). What are the licensing implications? (No, I don't want to start a CDDL vs. GPL war)
3). Would it make sense to have this as a separate module? Can it even be made into a module?

Cheers,
Bogdan.