[Release Planning 4.0] Samba 4.0.0rc6 on Tuesday December 4, 2012

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 3 20:43:27 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 10:11 +0100, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 09:52:27AM +0100, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > this is a reminder that rc6 will be released on Tuesday November 27.
> > Please make sure to provide/review your patchsets until Sunday November
> > 25.
>
> I would like to propose to delay Samba 4.0.0rc6
> until Tuesday, December 4.
> The ACL patches (bugs #8620, #8621 and #7711) need to be finished and
> reviewed before the last release candidate.
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Release_Planning_for_Samba_4.0
> has been updated accordingly. We are going to stick to the final release
> date (Tuesday, December 11) if possible.
>
> Are there any objections?

Thanks Karolin.  It's been great to see these patches finally land and I
agree that making an RC without these would not have been helpful.

We should include something like this in the WHATSNEW, to explain the
situation:

In this release candidate, we have a significant number of improvements
to our Access Control List (ACL) code, particularly for the Active
Directory Domain Controller, but also in our general purpose file
server.

These changes are important, as they enable Group Policy Objects to work
correctly, allow administrators to impose restrictions on some users
reading certain parts of the directory and correctly propagating
inherited ACLs down the LDAP directory tree.

It is unusual to make such changes so late in the RC series, however we
felt uncomfortable knowingly releasing Samba 4.0 without having these
features working.  In particular, this does address the regression in
Group Policy support seen during the beta series.

Users of the Active Directory Domain Controller upgrading from any
previous release should run 'samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset' to re-sync
ACLs on the sysvol share with those matching the GPOs in LDAP and the
defaults from an initial provision.  This will set an underlying POSIX
ACL if required (eg not using the NTVFS file server).