svcctl list option prohibits smbd to start

Vladimir Marek Vladimir.Marek at Oracle.COM
Fri Aug 31 13:25:14 MDT 2012

Hi,

Recently we got new bug opened about

[general]
svcctl list = apache

causing

$ smbd -i
smbd version 3.6.7 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2011
Ignoring unknown parameter "idmap alloc backend"
Ignoring unknown parameter "idmap alloc backend"
rpc_srv_register: Failed to call the svcctl init function!

$ echo $?
1

After a bit of debugging, it seems that it's caused by

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=blob;f=source3/rpc_server/svcctl/srv_svcctl_reg.c;h=c3ce43f305ebe7e958d6060b3a0c54481cbd856d;hb=HEAD#l395

source3/rpc_server/svcctl/srv_svcctl_reg.c:

 395         if (ipath == NULL || dname == NULL || description == NULL) {
 396                 goto done;
 397         }

The for cycle just above walks through builtin services (Spooler, NETLOGON,
RemoteRegistry, WINS). When it does not find a match, which is the case of
custom service entered in samba config, it keeps ipath, dname and description
NULL. Thus there is no chance of going to line 400 where custom external
services should be taken into account.

When I remove the lines 395 - 397, samba starts up correctly.

Are the three lines in question a bug or did I misunderstood the situation?

Thank you
--
	Vlad