Preparations for Samba 4.0 RC1

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Aug 30 07:41:32 MDT 2012

On 30/08/12 15:06, Gémes Géza wrote:
>> On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 12:09 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:

>> The bigger task of making the Samba-HOWTO acknowledge the AD DC and be
>> up to date will be the more difficult thing.

Just say, in plain English terms, this:
Samba 4 RC1 is . . .
Samba 4 RC1 will do this. . .
Samba 4 RC1 will not do this. . .
Samba 4 will eventually be . . .
Samba 3 already is what you already have.

Try to imagine that you are not a coder and only know samba 3. Try to
imagine what it's like as an end user to have Samba 3 working. Tell end
users clearly what Samba4 is and what the RC1 will provide. Tell them
very clearly what it will not provide.

Be very, very clear. No jargon terms. Remember that when you write this,
you are not a coder. Try to take what you take for granted will be new
to many end users.

There is a lot of guesswork going on amongst us. We are testing like
crazy over here. All we need is some plain talk.

Try to imagine someone taking your English and having to translate it
into another language. Spanish comes to mind;)

HTH
Steve