Samba - Can you please check the below questions and advise us accordingly?

Maria Karamanli mkaramanli at cognity.gr
Wed Aug 29 02:34:04 MDT 2012

Dear Support,

1.       Site http://www.samba.org/samba has installation files for last
versions of Samba using source code. However, i found that i can easier
install samba using binary (installp) rather than source code through
file which can be downloaded from site
http://www-frec.bull.com/docs/download.htm, but this web site
experiences difficulties. For the same purpose, i navigated to
http://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/Binary_Packages/AIX/ (AIX is our server
operating system) but there is not any installation file. How can i
download this installation file? Our requirement is that windows server
should have access to a network shared folder of an aix machine. Please
note that samba installation and configuration on Production environment
is supposed to be the same with installation and configuration on test
environment.

2.       We would like to install Samba as third-party software between
Siebel servers that should have access to one shared file system. At the
moment, all Siebel servers are installed at AIX machines and have access
to the shared file system. New Requirement inserts one windows server at
the same enterprise which should have access at the same shared file
system. Can you advise us whether after installing samba server and
configuring windows samba client so that windows machine can access the
shared file system at samba aix server, should we also configure the
rest of aix siebel servers so that they will not lose access to the
shared file system?

Thank you very much in advance,

Kind Regards,

Maria Karamanli