Time-based releases maintenance branch?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 29 02:36:47 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 10:19 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I am not 100% sure how to handle the maintenance releases.
> We decided to ship releases every 6 weeks. Is that valid for the current
> stable branch only or for the maintenance mode as well?
>
> Currently, it does not seem like we do need 3.5 releases every 6
> weeks. I would like to propose to ship the maintenance releases on demand.
>
> Comments welcome.

I would rather adjust the frequency than move to 'on demand' because I
think that 'on demand' gets us back to the problematic situations we had
previously.  That is, the specific timing of the release shouldn't be
put back to the list for discussion, because I fear it brings with it
demands such as 'wait for my bug' and 'my fix is really important, ship
now!'.

If the 6 week tempo is too much, could we work out if there are more
details we can automate or streamline?  For Samba 4.0 the 2-week tempo
has been fast, but due to automation not a major hassle (and only one
brown-paper-bag release so far...).

Similarly, if there really are no changes, of course we can skip a
release.