Using public headers to write ABI vscripts

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 22:54:04 MDT 2012

I've been working on a patch to use the mksyms.awk approach to get a
list of public headers and symbols from our public headers files, and
use that instead of just the regular-expression abi_match.

https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/abi-public-headers

It would be great to get this in to 4.0, but I'm having some waf
challenges I'll need to get past.  The challenge relates to the grouping
from the build ordering, because we need a vscript for libreplace (very
early) but vscripts can depend on pild-generated headers.  We may need
to rely on pure dependencies rather than also the groups.

This came up because I had to bump the ldb ABI (it needed a bump for the
behaviour change, but it spiked my interest) when adding a private,
internal symbol.