Samba 4 beta8 PANIC: internal error

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Aug 28 14:31:54 MDT 2012

On 08/28/2012 09:51 PM, Ricky Nance wrote:
> Hey Steve, can you confirm that nothing is running on the following
> ports while samba is not running, 88, 135, 389, 464, 636, 1024, 3268,
> 3269. I am not sure about your specific distro but on Ubuntu I can
> issue the following command:
>
> netstat -anp | grep '88\|135\|389\|464\|636\|1024\|3268\|3269' | grep
> -i listen
Hi Ricky
Thanks. It doesn't look like it:
  netstat -anp | grep '88\|135\|389\|464\|636\|1024\|3268\|3269' | grep
-i listen
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     19881
1659/menu-cached    /tmp/.menu-cached-:0-steve
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     7887
594/smpppd          /var/run/smpppd/control

> If there is something else running that conflicts, that may be the
> culprit.

> If that doesn't work, there is some stuff you can do with tdb backup
> that might help, but the instructions are risky and I'd rather not
> post them on list, as someone browsing across them later on may miss a
> step (specifically backing up the samba directory).

At this stage it doesn't matter for us as it looks like we'll have to
start again anyway. The update to (post) beta7 has totally screwed up
our other test replication system too, as it seems that there is no way
to restore replicating DC's at this stage. Vbox snapshots and backups
are useless. We just found out. The hard way.

If we can work on this simple DC to try and restore that, I'm sure it
would go a long way to resolving the other post beta 7 problems we have
(even on a clean install) such as creating spn's and keytab enctypes
which seem to have undergone changes since the last working beta 6 we had.

Any help really would be appreciated. This represents around 6 months of
heavy learning and testing down the drain for us in one update:(

Thanks,
Steve