Enabling s3fs on samba4 DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 27 23:21:43 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-27 at 10:35 +0200, Daniele Dario wrote:
> Hi samba team,
> it's a long time since my last question and I've seen many progresses
> during this time so I'll say you "great job guys".
>
> In my installation I have 2 s4 DCs (at the moment DC1 is Version
> 4.0.0beta3-GIT-d1aeb2d and DC2 is Version 4.0.0beta3-GIT-c983ea8) both
> are using bind 9.9 + samba_dlz for DNS and they are running without
> problems since my last update to beta3 (again great job guys).
>
> I'm planning to move network shares from a s3 fileserver which is joined
> to the domain to DC2 and I'd use s3fs (to reduce HW) but I've heard that
> there are some things to do when changing from NTVFS to s3fs (both DCs
> are using NTVFS) so can someone please point me to the right way to
> proceed?

> Is it better to upgrade to latest beta release before to migrate from
> NTVFS to S3FS?

Please either wait for beta7 (very soon) or use GIT master.  I've
finally fixed a lot of issues here.

It won't really matter, but you can do it in stages if you like.

> When upgrading to latest release I would run samba-tool dbcheck
> --cross-ncs --fix on the installation I've upgraded before to start
> samba am I right?

Yes.

If you only have a sysvol share, then running:

samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset

after configuring it back to the default file server (s3fs) will set the
POSIX ACLs you need.

> This should check and fix dbs in the DC I've upgraded so shall I check
> something before to restart samba to avoid replication problems with the
> other DC?

Honestly, I don't think we changed anything that this will matter for
since beta3, so don't worry too much.

> I would start upgrading the "secondary" DC and once it is again ok and
> running I would do the same on the "primary", am I right?

That should be OK.