Permissions incorrectly ordered on Windows after disabling inheritance

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 21:55:03 MDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:16:40PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> It

> SEC_ACE_FLAG_INHERITED_ACE

> > > Well, I guess that depends on the semantics of Creator Owner with the
> > > inherited bit set, doesn't it? Does Windows mark the new ACE created
> > > as a result of a Creator Owner ace that has the inherited bit set as
> > > inherited as well?
> >
> > Yep (been testing against Win7). Windows marks *all*
> > ACE's it creates as part of the inheritance code path
> > with the SEC_ACE_FLAG_INHERITED_ACE bit.
> >
> > It doesn't matter what the original inherited bit was.
>
> And here's a COMPLETELY UNTESTED :-) patch.
>
> Compiles, but that's all I can say right now..
>
> I'll test when I get into work on my test environment
> tomorrow.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Jeremy.

I'm really punchy, so if this is a stupid question, please be kind about
it. :)
Is there any chance this will trigger that infamous Office bug where the
permissions on a saved file will be reset to the default permissions of the
parent directory regardless of what the actual ACL is on the file that is
being overwritten by the temp file?

I'm looking at deploying Samba-4 in the very near future at work and I'll
do anything to not trigger that bug again.  It has literally cost me
sleepless nights. :)

--
Peace and Blessings,
-Scott.