Question regarding Samba4 updates

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 27 17:26:31 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-25 at 09:02 -0500, Ricky Nance wrote:
> Andreas, while it looks like the command will work with either a running or
> non running system, when you issue the --fix it could potentially make
> changes to the ldb files. I have seen it said a few times that this should
> not be done on a running system. If it were me, I would run it right after
> make install on an upgrade.

Ricky,

You are quite correct.  As you already have to shut down samba to do the
upgrade, the samba-tool dbcheck --fix is best run while Samba is shut
down.

We do intend this tool to be safe to run, particularly when the system
is operating, but running it before starting Samba gives us a chance to
fix things before Samba starts.