Samba4 nmbd/smbd/winbindd

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us
Sun Aug 26 14:07:19 MDT 2012

First, the wiki probably needs to add that openldap (and its headers)
should only be installed when using smbd,nmbd, and winbind. Openldap by
default directly conflicts with samba (as both cannot be runnning on port
389 and samba as an AD controller relies on this port to be a very specific
LDAP setup). That being said, the HOWTO is largely written to focus on an
AD type of setup and should probably be modified to add other functionality
(or at the very least be renamed to AD Howto). As for your getent issue how
is your nsswitch.conf file setup, for winbind or ldap? If setup for ldap
you will need the libnss_ldap files (nss-ldap package), however if you are
trying to use winbind you will need to link the files from
/usr/local/samba/lib (I think, I don't a terminal handy right at the
moment)... libnss_winbind.so should be linked to where your system libs are
located (for example ln -sf /usr/local/samba/lib/libnss_winbind.so
/lib/libnss_winbind.so and  ln -sf /usr/local/samba/lib/libnss_winbind.so
/lib/libnss_winbind.so.2, again I don't have a terminal handy to confirm
those paths, so you may need to add or change something there). Good luck
and keep us posted.

Ricky