Samba4 nmbd/smbd/winbindd

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Sun Aug 26 02:47:11 MDT 2012

Hello all,

On 18/08/12, Andrew Bartlett wrote this:

[quote]
These different components perform different roles in the Samba system.
The AD DC has only one daemon binary you need to interact with, 'samba'.
Users wishing to have a file server or a domain member server need to
use 'nmbd, smbd and winbindd' as they have done with Samba 3.x
[unquote]

To which I asked this question:

Does this mean that you can use nmbd,smbd and winbindd on the samba4
server or not?

He replied:

[quote]
You can, but it will not be an AD domain controller.  Remember that
Samba 4.0 is also the next release after Samba 3.6, and so it does
everything that release does as well.
[unquote]

Well based on this, I tried it and can now inform that it does not work!

I downloaded and compiled Version 4.0.0beta7-GIT-b05d28e, did not provision.
Created /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf with contents that I know work on a
samba 3.6.3 client.

I then ran 'net ads join -U Administrator at HOME.LAN' and got this:

'ADS support not compiled in'

so tried:
samba-tool domain join HOME MEMBER -U Administrator at HOME.LAN

After entering the password I got this:

Joined domain HOME (S-1-5-21-1601855890-33271501-835292257)

It seemed to join, so started the daemons:

/usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd -D
/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd -D
/usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd -D

But winbindd did not start, so tried /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd -i

winbindd version 4.0.0beta7-GIT-b05d28e started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2012
Could not fetch our SID - did we join?
unable to initialize domain list

I dumped the samba4 database to an ldif and checked for the computer, it
is there.

So, whilst you can set Samba4 as you would Samba 3.6, it will not work.

Rowland

believed to be clean.