How to backup samba4

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Aug 24 05:04:02 MDT 2012

Am 23.08.2012 22:50, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 19:30 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently planing and testing the final steps for our switch to s4 in 3
>> weeks and now got the following two important questions:
>>
>> - How do I backup samba4 (databases, etc.) while it's running?
>
> Use tdbbackup on each ldb file.
>
>> - What do I have to backup from samba (byside the data on the shares) to
>> restore the whole AD if neccessary? (/usr/local/samba/private|etc|var + sysvol
>> + netlogon folder?
>
> That sounds right.
>
> There is actually already a script for this:
>
> source4/scripting/bin/samba_backup

Please not that you should never restore a dc from backup
if at least one other dc is still working! If you do that
you'll corrupt the directory as the replication meta data
get out of sync!

The best would be a restore command that would change the invocationId,
and reset the highestCommitedUsn, this is what windows is doing on
restore...

metze