How to backup samba4

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Fri Aug 24 04:12:04 MDT 2012

On 24/08/12 10:34, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 11:24 +0200, steve wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> To backup I rsync /usr/local/samba to an ext4 formatted disk.
>> Is this OK as a backup?
> No.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hi, this reply was succinct and to the point but really did not tell us
much, yes it told us that it was no good as a backup, but it did not
tell us why not!

I cannot see why rsync is no good, you can set it to keep symlinks, acls
& xattr, so that you end up with a copy of whatever you are rsync-ing.

Could you please explain why rsync is not suitable?

Thanks

Rowland

believed to be clean.