Preparations for Samba 4.0 RC1

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Aug 23 15:34:47 MDT 2012

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 20:13 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> > Andrew,
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 05:15:52PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > Karolin,
> > >
> > > As you would have seen, I've proposed a date for RC1.  I'm not sure what
> > > your schedule is like, so I'm wondering if I can handle this first RC
> > > release, so we can get RC1 made without undue pressure on yourself?
> > >
> > > What I would suggest is:
> > >
> > >  - On the agreed date, I'll autobuild the WHATSNEW and VERSION change to
> > > RC1, and make the release tag in the normal way, just as I have for the
> > > betas.
> > >
> > >  - I'll upload the tarballs and branches etc as normal.
> > >
> > >  - Then I'll hand over the process to you, to work with submitted bugs,
> > > and ensure you have both a release script that works and an
> > > understanding of how to run it.
> > >
> > >  - You would make RC2 (which we will almost certainly need) and of
> > > course the final release.
> > >
> > > This way, I can focus on getting the new release scripts right, without
> > > also needing to coordinate it with you.
> > >
> > > Finally, I know the docs build is a challenge (and a key part of the
> > > release process from what I see).  Do you have any particular insights
> > > into what it needs?  (Otherwise, I'll work it out myself).
> > >
> > > Please let me know what do you think.
> >
> > sorry for answering late!
> >
> > I agree on leaving RC1 in your hands and to take it over for RC2.
> > I'll be back in the office on Monday, so things will be easier after that
> > (hopefully ;-).
>
> Thanks for being flexible on this.

I think this is very reasonable.
The important change with RC1 is that once the release has been
coined, the branches are created and the mode immediatley changes
to the "only-Karolin-can-push-after-bugzilla-review" mode.
To my understanding, it is hence not so important how this first
RC is done, and it should be perfectly ok if Andrew cuts it in
his proven manner.

Just my 2 cents..

Cheers - Michael