Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1 on 4 Sep 2012?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 23 04:07:08 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 10:17 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > I'm starting to feel really good about how Samba 4.0 is coming along.
> > We have addressed the major memory leaks, and I am about to push changes
> > to have us use posix ACLs during the AD provision, which was for me the
> > most important remaining issue.
> >
> > Therefore, I would like to propose releasing Samba 4.0 RC1 on Sept 4.
> >
> > Between now and then I would like to:
> >  - Work with Karolin to see how I can be of assistance to her during
> > this RC series and if the date is OK for her schedule.
> >  - Fix the configure tests for quotas not to require librpc
> >  - Implement the remaining ACL/quota configure tests in WAF
> >  - Discuss removing the PIDL and perl pre-generation in autogen.sh (once
> > configure doesn't need it)
> >  - Add running (a hopefully reduced) ./autogen.sh to the waf dist
> > process
> >  - Add docs to the waf dist process
> >  - consider removing the alpha13 provision (used in a test) from the
> > release tarball due to space requirements
> >  - Ensure that the new release scripts are sufficient for a correct
> > autoconf build
> >  - Adding startup inhibitors for running samba/smbd/nmbd/winbind in the
> > incorrect roles.
>
> We really need initial support for durable handles in RC1!
>
> I'm working hard to get the patches ready, but until September 4th there
> only 5 days in the office for me.

I agree this is a key feature, as durable handles are a major part of
what is really special in SMB3.

Is there anything I can do to assist with this?

More broadly, one of the biggest challenges for but also the biggest
achievement of the Samba 4.0 release process is bringing our two major
development strands together into a single release.  We have much to be
proud of!

That our synchronization on a first-suggestion date for RC1 is only off
by a few days or a week is pretty impressive, and I'm sure we can work
it out.

Given the feedback earlier, I think it's best that we do the RC before
SDC.  That way, we can focus on testing what features we have, not
adding the next major feature to this particular release.

> If possible we should add some magic that rejects to work as AD DC in a
> domain
> which also has Windows DCs. As that can't work as SYSVOL replication
> isn't supported
> and we could also corrupt the Windows database if we send replication
> notifications
> while a windows dc is currently replicating from us. (We could have an
> option to
> allow this, but that should be off similar to the "dsdb:schema update
> allowed"
> option.

This is the first I've heard of this.  Can you explain more about the
corruption you fear?

> > This is a lot of work for 2 weeks, but I want to avoid doing it in the
> > week before SDC as that will be busy with preparation for travel.
>
> Maybe we should aim for September 7th? Which would mean 3 additional
> days for me.
> But still I can't promise that it's ready by then.

I'm happy with Sep 7 or Sep 10 (at the latest) if Karolin is happy with
me doing the RC1.  (That close to SDC, I would prefer to just handle it
with existing processes and scripts personally than also co-ordinate it
with someone else).

Thanks,