Upgrading Alpha9 install to master

Brian Marshall brian at netcents.com
Wed Aug 22 22:24:20 MDT 2012

On 8/22/2012 4:30 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 17:19 -0700, Brian Marshall wrote:
>> Hello, long time samba4 user (going back to the TPs) here. I stopped
>> keeping up with master around Alpha9, since everything was stable for my
>> small domain.
>> However, things have changed with my latest round of hardware upgrades,
>> and I can't successfully use new machines on the domain. I can join, but
>> then wbinfo doesn't work, and I can't log on with SSO (tons of IDMap
>> errors).
>> I'd like to be able to upgrade to a newer version of Samba to see if
>> that fixes my problems, but no matter what version I try,
>> upgradeprovision just hoses my install. I've tried
>> Alpha10,11,13,14,15,16 and 17 as well as master. They all build properly
>> and segfault at different places. The Alphas segfault looking for ldb
>> files (and creating them just makes a segfault farther along, which
>> hoses the install), and master segfaults trying to parse the
>> Configuration CN. I've pasted the output below:
>

>> Is there any way for me to dump out the users/computers from my current
>> domain and reload them into a freshly provisioned one?
>> I'd rather not have to unjoin/rejoin all the computers and recreate all
>> the users manually and have to deal with profile problems or fudging
>> SIDs. I tried to dump out LDIFs with JXplorer and remerge into a freshly
>> provisioned server, but couldn't manage it for some reason.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there is
>> any other info I can provide.
>
> Yikes, this is going to be tricky.  However, I will try and find a way
> to get this going for you.  I have a very special respect for those who
> have been running Samba4 for a long time, and I hope we can figure
> something out that will work.  I do think we can salvage your
> configuration.  One of the ways might actually be to (oddly) migrate via
> Samba3 or at least it's passdb layer.
>
> Anyway, at the moment I can just ack your mail, and ask you to keep on
> my case about fixing this and finding a way out for you.
>
> To start on something that I can perhaps help with, can you try and run
> 'samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs' on a copy of the DB?  I would really
> like to get a DB of that age to at least start to self-fix, if we can.
> That may in turn allow us to get upgradeprovision to work, or give us a
> DB that current Samba4 will accept.  Once we have that, exporting and
> importing the user data becomes easier.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your reply, and I'm really glad to be able to get some help!

I tried running samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs, but got the following
exception:

galadriel:/usr/src/samba-master# ./bin/samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs
WARNING: Module [kludge_acl] not found - do you need to set
LDB_MODULES_PATH?
Unable to load modules for tdb:///usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb: (null)
ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - None
   File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 160, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
   File "bin/python/samba/netcmd/dbcheck.py", line 77, in run
     credentials=creds, lp=lp)
   File "bin/python/samba/samdb.py", line 56, in __init__
     options=options)
   File "bin/python/samba/__init__.py", line 114, in __init__
     self.connect(url, flags, options)
   File "bin/python/samba/samdb.py", line 71, in connect
     options=options)

I can provide you a copy of a complete /usr/local/samba folder archive
(208MB). Is there somewhere I can upload it, or should I host it
somewhere for you?

Thanks again, and thanks for all your work! I have been using Samba and
RSync to make my life easier for over fifteen years.

    -Brian Marshall