getent gives different info

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Tue Aug 21 06:49:29 MDT 2012

> Hi, can somebody explain to me why Samba 4 getent returns different
> info compared to Samba 3.6.3?
>
> If I run the command 'getent passwd student1' on the Samba 4 server I
> get:
>
> HOME\student1:*:3000039:3000036::/home/HOME/student1:/bin/bash
>
> But the same command on a Samba 3.6.3 client gives:
>
> student1:*:3000039:3000036::/home2/students/7a/student1:/bin/bash
>
> I understand the addition of the domain at the start of the Samba 4
> info line, but why does it return a different (and incorrect) home
> directory? All the info returned by Samba 3.6.3 is correct.
>
> Rowland

Hi,

The difference is caused by the different behavior of winbind from
samba3 and the winbind integrated into the samba binary from samba4. The
latter doesn't support retrieving homes and shells from the directory
and relies on the template homedir and template shell variable instead.
Andrew Bartlett said this behavior will be changed (repaired) only after
samba4 will be released in a (hopefully not too far) point release.

Regards

Geza Gemes