"Access denied" when non-admin tries to create a file on a share

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Mon Aug 20 23:41:26 MDT 2012

Hello;

I am running Samba4 alpha22 on Gentoo Linux.  Recently I did two things:
I upgraded Samba4 from alpha15 to alpha22 (as a clean install, then
copied the 'private' directory into it, etc.), and I rebuilt the
filesystems to be on software RAID.

I have multiple shares created with Samba.  They all used to work
perfectly, but now when a non-administrator tries to create a file, the
Windows client tells him, "Access denied."  However, the user is able to
*change* any existing file, and delete files.

I don't see any relevant log entry in Samba's logs, with loglevel set to
3.  The "Security" tab (and cacls.exe) shows that everything is kosher.
  I give the user "Full control", but he still cannot create new files.

To help debug this, I created a brand-new ext4 filesystem on the server,
mounted it with user_xattrs,acl, shared it with Samba4, and as the
domain administrator allowed a non-administrator full access.  That
non-administrator is still unable to create new files.  So now I am at a
loss.

Please advise.

--
Philip