BUILD_FARM_HACKS and vfs_aio_fork

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 20 21:19:30 MDT 2012

Volker,

I've just submitted a patch to autobuild to remove the special build
farm detection from our codebase, to make the build farm run the same
tests in the same way that our 'make test' does if you configure with
--enable-selftest or --enable-developer.  In particular, this tries to
make the build farm run the same code in the same as autobuild, for
reliability.

The last use of BUILD_FARM_HACKS is your vfs_aio_fork module.

I'm wondering what would be the best way to signal that we want to try
the randomized timings here?  The attached patch moves it to
--enable-developer, but I fear too many of our sites run developer
binaries (for the debugging symbols mostly).  The same would apply to
moving it to --enable-selftest.

I don't think we want to leave it as a build farm only thing because
it's really, really hard to fix bugs that only happen on the build farm.

It seems like the kind of thing that would normally be controlled by a
parametric option, but I'm not sure if it is practical.

Finally, I can't see any way this is wired into selftest.  Should we add
it, and how should we test it?

I would appreciate to know your thoughts.

Thanks,