Confused about samba4 & s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Aug 20 04:39:01 MDT 2012

On 20/08/12 12:06, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 20.08.2012 11:52, schrieb steve:
>> The problem is that on S4/s3fs, winbind expects _all_ home directories
>> to be
>> in /home/DOMAIN/user format. It cannot pull the actual home directory
>> from AD
>> as can S3 winbind.
>
> I don't have winbind running on my s4 DC. Winbind doesn't start
> automatically on my s4 test environment, so I thougth that somebody of
> the developers had reasons for that (only smbd is started by samba). :-)
> And on my s3 PDC live environment I also don't run winbind. So I get my
> user information from nslcd which connects to the s4 LDAP server.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Hi Marc

We also use nslcd. Great piece of kit.

It's strange that winbind does not start for you when you call the samba
binary. Here, it starts whether you like it or not. Agreed, smbd shows
in a d3 log but winbind doesn't figure. It is however fully functional,
as far as Samba4 winbind allows.

Cheers,
Steve