Confused about samba4 & s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Aug 20 03:52:17 MDT 2012

On 20/08/12 11:13, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Am 20.08.2012 10:04, schrieb Gémes Géza:
>> I would suggest to set up a separate server running samba3 (or smbd,
>> nmbd,
>> winbind from samba4) for sharing home directories. Reasons:
>> 1. samba/s3fs doesn't support the [homes] share which (in case of smbd)
>> automatically maps to the users home folder
>
> If it's recommended or good to have the homes on an s4 server, I don't
> know, but you can have [homes] on a s4 server (i tried it with s3fs on
> beta4). Simply add
>     [homes]
>        read only = No
> (nothing else is required) to your s4 smb.conf and restart samba.
>
> BUT: The users need to have a value in their "homeDirectory" attribute,
> pointing to the path (like "/home/muehlfeld"). I had to fill this
> manually, because on migration, the attribute is not transferred from
> LDAP. But for new users you have to add this anyway manually.

Hi Marc
The problem is that on S4/s3fs, winbind expects _all_ home directories
to be in /home/DOMAIN/user format. It cannot pull the actual home
directory from AD as can S3 winbind. The workaround (which I see as a
solution and real alternative to winbind) is to use nss-pam-ldapd which
just works. S3 or S4.
Cheers and thanks for the input,
Steve