Confused about samba4 & s3fs

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Mon Aug 20 03:13:03 MDT 2012

Am 20.08.2012 10:04, schrieb Gémes Géza:
> I would suggest to set up a separate server running samba3 (or smbd, nmbd,
> winbind from samba4) for sharing home directories. Reasons:
> 1. samba/s3fs doesn't support the [homes] share which (in case of smbd)
> automatically maps to the users home folder

If it's recommended or good to have the homes on an s4 server, I don't know,
but you can have [homes] on a s4 server (i tried it with s3fs on beta4).
Simply add
    [homes]
       read only = No
(nothing else is required) to your s4 smb.conf and restart samba.

BUT: The users need to have a value in their "homeDirectory" attribute,
pointing to the path (like "/home/muehlfeld"). I had to fill this manually,
because on migration, the attribute is not transferred from LDAP. But for new
users you have to add this anyway manually.

Maybe it's worth to add an info to the wiki about the homes and s4 (how to
setup or recommend to use an additional s3 fileserver)

Regards,
Marc