inhibit startup of smbd/nmbd/winbindd when an AD DC (was Re: Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?)

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Aug 20 02:55:32 MDT 2012

On 20/08/12 09:20, Gémes Géza wrote:

>>> I actually plan to do more than that.  It's a little tricky (which is
>>> why it's not done yet), and I'll allow an override, but being a AD DC
>>> puts 'server role = active directory domain controller' in the
>>> smb.conf.
>>> I would like to have smbd/nmbd/winbindd check this value and then
>>> simply
>>> fail to start up.
>>>
>>> Andrew Bartlett
>>>
>> Hi
>> Oh dear. That sounds bad. Does that mean that we will no longer be
>> able to use AD, s3fs and winbind on the same box as we can do
>> (reliably) at the moment?
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>
> No, that would mean you won't be able to run conflicting binaries
> simultaneously.
> For clarity, samba4 (with s3fs) consist of two (server function
> providing) binaries: samba and smbd. smbd listens on ports 139 and 445
> providing file services (s3fs), samba listens on a plenty of ports
> providing lots of services like a kerberos kdc, etc. It also provides
> its internal nmbd and winbind services. On the other hand a samba3
> lets call it classic installation consist of three (server function
> providing) binaries: smbd, nmbd and winbind. If you would start any of
> those that would cause unpredictable conflicts.
> In conclusion disallowing the start of smbd, nmbd and winbind daemons
> if the samba binary is running would save the users from shooting
> themselves on foot.
>
> Regards
>
> Geza Gemes

After I have had it explained to me I would basically go with Geza here,
yes stop nmbd & winbind running if the samba daemon is started, but as
you need smbd to get s3fs (as far as I understand) this needs to be
stopped from running unless it is started automatically via samba or if
you are not going to run the  samba daemon ( i.e. mutually exclusive) in
which case you would need /etc/samba/smb.conf, nmbd and possibly winbind.

Rowland

believed to be clean.