Confused about samba4 & s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sun Aug 19 12:06:09 MDT 2012

On 19/08/12 12:11, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 11:47 +0200, steve wrote:

>>> No, and I plan to make this abort.  If you take an smb.conf from a Samba
>>> 3.x installation, you will need to start 'smbd/nmbd/winbindd' as you did
>>> in Samba 3.x.
>>
>> Hi Andrew. I'm really sorry for all these what must to you seem clear
>> ideas with obvious answers, but this really is the stuff that end users
>> need to know and are confused about.
>>
>> Could you give a quick [Y/N] sort of reply to these?
>>
>> 1. If I run the samba binary, I cannot have a 3.x smb.conf.
>
> Yes.  Unless you have 'server role = active directory domain controller'
> the 'samba' binary will refuse to start (some small exceptions for the
> use of the ntvfs file server, cifs and rpc proxies will apply).
>
>> 2. Let's say I've built Samba4 and I want to use a 3.x smb.conf. Do I do
>> this: start smbd, nmbd and winbindd from /usr/local/samba/sbin.
>
> Yes.
>
>> 3. if [ $2 == "yes" ] I'm back to a plain old 3.x and I do not have AD
>> possibilities.
>
> Yes.
>
>> 3. By running samba, I'm already running smbd and winbind.
>
> Yes, you are running something that provides those facilities.
>
>> 4. Do you plan to prevent users using samba (the one at the moment which
>> works so well with s3fs aa fileserver) as a one box solution to AD and
>> fileserver?
>
> No.  You can use the AD DC (running 'samba') as a file server.  We
> discussed earlier why we don't recommend it for larger or complex
> installations per good network design practice.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Andrew
Thank you so much for coming down to this level. I now know what is
available and the choices I have to make.

Given a college with 2000 students and dual boot KDE/w7 with art and
design taking up the vast majority of the file server in jpg's via gimp
and photoshop alone, where would you go?

S4/s3fs. S4DC/S3.6 . What sort of hardware specs am I looking at for the
DC and fileserver? The only necessity I've been given is that I block
control panel if students use w$. I can GPO that. I don't think that
this is a complex installation but it is big for us.

Cheers,
Steve